Friday, June 1, 2007

Meet Don

I've said before that one of the highlights of the trip has been the people we've met, both on and off the BABE rally. Waiting for the ferry we snagged another (or maybe he snagged us). This older guy started asking questions about the car and the veggie system, and that led to all kinds of car talk (speaking of Car Talk, one of the rally cars was a '64 Dodge Dart from Cambridge, and he had Ray of Click and Clack, the famous Dart fan, check it out before the trip).

So, back to Don -- he told me that he was on the way to Greenwich CT for a big car show -- one day on sports cars, and one day of classics. He seemed to know an extraordinary amount about cars, and said things like "back in 1956 my brother and I picked up a Morgan in Europe and drove around for 5 months," but he was driving a Buick Roadmaster. When I finally asked him what his connnection was with the Greenwich show, he told me he's the Grand Marshall. Turns out Don is founder and Editor Emeritus of Car Collector Magazine. And I've got an autographed copy here to prove it.

With Don at the ferry line




No comments: