Saturday, May 26, 2007

Late night Gadsden

Getting to Alabama today gave us a bonus hour, and it';s a good thing, because it's 1 am local time and I'm still up. I just finished showing off the Vegginator's fuel system to the four Irish guys. They lost their car (a stretch Caddy) on the second day out -- the center universal joint gave way, and they had to desert it on the Blue Ridge Parkway. But they're still partying along with the rest of the gang, in a much more comfortable rental car. The social part of the rally has proven to be a real bonus -- everyone is rooting for each other, and the routine of applause for every arriving car is a treat, whether we're doing the clapping or being welcomed as a late arrival, as we were last night. I was glad tonight that Adam reminded us about making a stop at the local convenience store so we could bring along a case of Corona to share.

The Vegginator performed really well today. It is remarkably smooth on the highway. On the steep backroads it takes a bit more patience, but it does get going. I actually thought it handled really well through the 300+ curves on the dragon. It's a bit loose, but very predictable and stable within its limits.

Overall the trip has been very comfortable, and except for the emergency repairs yesterday, very relaxed. Even that was fun -- Kent and I had a good time lying on the pavement under the car trying to sort out how to patch together three ill-fitting repair kits to do the job of one. We even managed to fit the floor ramps we purchased into the car when we left -- it just took a little time and some Damariscotta style car packing, and I think we had more room in the back seat than without them.

One more day to go. I've been in touch with my veggie oil contact in New Orleans. Timing may be a bit difficult, as I don't know how early we'll make it there tomorrow, but I'm optimistic that Rachel and I will have 50+ gallons of veg to start our trip north.

No comments: